Thomas Burberry establishes Burberry in 1856 in Basingstoke at just 21 years old, founded on the principle that clothing should be designed to protect people from the British weather. During 1913, having had a presence in London since 1891, Burberry moves to a larger London premises in Haymarket. The Burberry trench coat is invented during the First World War, the functional design includes epaulettes used to suspend military equipment such as gloves and whistles, D-rings used to carry grenades, the gun flap to provide additional protection when in action and the storm shield to allow water to run off it smoothly. In 1972 Burberry formally acquires the factory in Castleford, the home of the Burberry trench coat, building on our manufacturing presence in the UK – a legacy that continues today. During 1999 Burberry’s becomes Burberry and a new logo is designed by art director Fabien Baron. One year later Burberry opens its first store on Bond Street. The Spring/Summer 2010 womenswear show relocates to London from Milan, marking the 25th anniversary of London Fashion Week. Since 2018 to today Riccardo Tisci is the art director.